Q. Is it a Submarine or a Grinder? Or perhaps a Hero? A. All of the above.

Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Run for the Hills, the Candidates are Coming!


Fortunately, they move slowly, like zombies.

OK, so here's Hartford's Motto. Yeah, I mean it's okay. The actual visual reinforcement of the "rising star" thing is kinda funny, it's all like "get it?!?!" Anywho, Hartford is really proud of this, you literally see this motto everywhere. After a weekend of being infused with civic pride, what are you gonna do, right?

So the mayoral primary is the 11th, which means I need to get thyself down to the DMV to register to vote and to get a CT license, natch. Which is good, because I hate my photo on my NY license. It looks like a "before" picture from a makeover show. I need an after!

So what was I talking about? Ah yes the mayoral thing. So Eddie Perez is the current Democratic party mayor. I don't know toms about him, except he used to deal drugs or something like that (Wikipedia confirms that) and pushed the whole school uniforms thing. It's too bad I'm not more of an informed electorate, but hell, this is a country that based its idea of who to vote for for President on whom they'd like to have a beer with, so whatever.\

As per Wikipedia:
Perez has also put in place one of the largest WiFi networks in the USA. The WiFi effort has the goal of closing the digital divide in one of the poorest cities in the country.

I've kind of met another candidate, Minnie Gonzalez. Actually, she came to our apartment to introduce herself 2 days after we moved in, so I spent all of the time rooting around in the closet while Peter talked to her. I remember being sort of freaked out that she showed up like some sort of welcome wagon, but it was just dumb luck on her part, as she was just knocking on random doors. She told him a bit of shocking news - there is only one registered voter in our entire building. Isn't that indicative of the greater problem, and why so many fools get elected to office (see above with the have a beer with meme). She's in or was in the Connecticut House O' Reps.

That's about it, there are some other people running but I don't really know anything about them. Hey, I'm new here!

So the weirdest business in across the street, get this combo. It's a shop that does Western Union, sells smokes AND has a drop-off laundry business. I think you can pay cable bills there too or something. It's one stop shopping, if your shopping is very very odd.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm a big fan of candidates knocking on doors and saying "Hello" good for her. It's how we do it in 'old' England too.

Anyway, I hope there are now, or at least soon will be, THREE registered voters in your building Kim...

Anonymous said...

The shop is a strange mix, Kim. When we lived in small-town Oregon the only way to get anything dry-cleaned was to take it to the hardware store - they'd shuttle it south 30 miles and bring it back in 3 days.

The most bizarro move was when somebody tried to open an underwear store. And I'm not talking lingerie, either - more like Fruit-Of-The-Loom stuff. It beats me whoever thought that was a winning business plan...

I need to get my BC drivers license soon as well. Can't vote yet, though. :(

Interested Bystander said...

It's tough being politically active and moving into a city, right before an election, where you are not familiar with the candidates. It requires a lot of catching up, in a short time. Good luck with it!

I love that weird shop across the way. Western Union, smokes and laundry. So, you would be there for the...let me guess...SMOKES?

Kim, I just hope they let the smokers go to the front of the line. It's all about priorities!

Kim, PbD said...

OMG, it is funny you would say that! Occasionally he says, "Anyone here for JUST cigarettes?" then lets everyone just for smokes cut in line.

For anyone, Western Unioning take a LONG time.

Interested Bystander said...

Excellent, Kim!

That'll teach those Western Unioners. Don't they know that, according to the Surgeon General, it's bad for your health?

When will these people learn?!?