Q. Is it a Submarine or a Grinder? Or perhaps a Hero? A. All of the above.

Saturday, September 8, 2007

My Car Cannot Deal with this Shit

So I have an interview Monday with an insurance company. Totally cool but the drive? Takes me over Avon Mountain, which if you do a search for in Google leads you to pages and pages of disaster.

Witness:

http://www.insurancejournal.com/news/east/2006/01/18/64291.htm
http://ctlocalpolitics.net/2007/09/08/rell-ban-trucks-on-avon-mountain/
http://blogs.courant.com/capitol_watch/2007/09/another-avon-mo.html

Yes, that shit is going to be fun fun fun in the Winter. Riiiiight.

The big problem seems to be truck traffic, and there is a movement to stop it on the mountain, which makes sense if you are, you know, driving on it. If you love Kim, call Gov. Rell and ask her to support the truck ban:

http://www.ct.gov/governorrell/site/default.asp

My poor Saturn doesn't seem to like driving up and down the mountain too much, it bitches and moans the entire way.

Like I told a good friend, I am just going to have a pre-emptive heart attack, to get it over with!

4 comments:

Interested Bystander said...

Well, first of all, good luck with the interview, Kim! You'll have my best thoughts, as always, of course.

As for the rest of it:

OMG! This really doesn't seem good, at all, does it? It just figures. No matter how good things are looking, there's always something to add an element of WTF? to the works.

That Google search, btw, is plenty effin scary. The hell! Too damned many accidents to ignore this situation.

Maybe you will be able to find an alternate route, for future trips? I hope so. The idea of you driving Avon Mountain on icy roads, this winter, is worrisome in the extreme.

At the very least, let's hope that the truck traffic gets stopped on that route. That will be some help.

And I know what you mean about the car. When we were driving through West Virginia a few years ago, we decided to take "the scenic route" over a mountain. The car did not like this idea, at all. Just saying.

"If you love Kim, call Gov. Rell and ask her to support the truck ban"

Well, that makes it a done deal -- Gov. Rell will definitely be getting a call.

Kim, PbD said...

It's ironic that the metaphorical mountain I had to climb becomes a literal one, right?

*sigh*

Thanks for the call, and pass it on!


Truck ban on Avon Mountain!

Anonymous said...

Holy cats, Kim, I wouldn't want to drive that commute - much less under snow/ice conditions! At your interview be sure and ask about telecommuting options in bad weather.

I will definitely send my encouragement for this to get dealt with, pronto!

Interested Bystander said...

It's ironic that the metaphorical mountain I had to climb becomes a literal one, right?

Hey, that's a pretty good analogy -- very poetic.

I hadn't thought of it that way until just now, but you're right. That's one irony you could have done without, at this point. The metaphorical mountain was enough.

Regarding the literal one, hopefully, Gov. Rell will push for a permanent solution to this problem.

In the meantime, please stay safe, my friend!