Q. Is it a Submarine or a Grinder? Or perhaps a Hero? A. All of the above.

Tuesday, August 21, 2007

From Huck Finn to the Half Door

Hartford is one of those places people drive through on the way to somewhere else. Specifically, between New York and Boston. I have experience living in a place like this, I grew up in a town on the confluence of Interstates 57 & 64, as well as literally dozens of smaller highways and biways. My hometown had more hotel rooms than residents. It also shares another trait I personally find endearing, and that is a general unassumedness (word?) of the populace.

So, my goal and mission is to point out how cool I think this little city is, so you will think it is cool as well. Since I'm brand new to town, you will be learning along with me.

First, a little about my immediate neighborhood, which we will likely be spending a lot of time in. I'm in an ancient elevator building (the scariest elevator you will likely ever meet) in the Historic West End, or more specifically on the end of the Historic West End. I'm right next door to the Harriet Beecher Stowe house and two doors down from Hartford's Number one Tourist Attraction, The Mark Twain House. Just up the road a bit is Hartford's best pub (the readers have voted), The Half Door. I spend a disproportionate amount of time there and have already met all manner of the wonderful and weird local denizens.

So let's do this thing!

4 comments:

Sergei Andropov said...

Cool.

Interested Bystander said...

This is an awesome idea, Kim! What a wonderful way to promote and share your new community. Props to you for feeling motivated to do this.

I know how much you already love Hartford. It's fantastic how quickly you have taken to the place. I definitely look forward to reading many stories of your adventures, there.

All my best, and good luck with the new blog! Btw, if unassumedness wasn't a word, before, it is now!

Anonymous said...

In my experience, with enough gin and tonics it evolves from Fuck Hymn to the Daft Whore. Which pretty much describes your average bar crawl along Park Street in a nutshell.
Speaking of nutshells, great local bar. Sad laments for all those places that have gone before, but if its meat your after, try Stew Leonards. Or Adolf's Meat and Sausage Kitchen.
Spot on bout the unassuming peepl here. Those were also Princess Diana's final words, witnesses said. "Le cite de Hartford est le gran fommage," was her precise phrase. So, there's no need to take yourself to any other Oz becuase this is no place like home. *click, click*

MTE1975 said...

Wow. I really need to see this place.