Q. Is it a Submarine or a Grinder? Or perhaps a Hero? A. All of the above.

Monday, October 1, 2007

A Connecticut Transplant in King Arthur's Court

Oh, it's here! It's here!

*Claps hands like a little girl*


http://ctfaire.com/connecticut_renaissance_festival/index.php

Belly dancing! Free games! Knights! Falconry!!! Such a mind-blowing and time-bending event that they can actually manage to advertise over 40 hours of entertainment a day. I didn't even know that was quantumally (new word!) possible.

The only thing that makes me sad is that I have no Ren Faire duds. No bodices, no skirts. Dr. Pete has a monk costume, so he's cool - not that it won't take some amazing kind of pleading and begging to get him to wear it. Though the sweet temptation of giant turkey legs might work.

I'm looking on the site, and the wedding packages aren't bad at all. Considering how much weddings cost these days, even the Royalty Package, at $3,500 is pretty affordable for the entire kit & kaboodle. That's for 40 people, they even throw a feast for your arse.

So onto other events around the area....I must MUST go to this:

http://www.hauntedgraveyard.com/

(Warning: sound effects on the site...they are cool but don't want to get you in trouble at work)

Hah, the gallery kicks ass:

http://www.hauntedgraveyard.com/gallery.aspx


If you were wanting something a little less scary (and that is certainly subjective), you could go to West Hartford and check out this year's Cow Parade:

http://www.thisisct.net/cows.html

I don't know if you have ever had the cows come to your home town, but they are kind of cool and distracting, in a "this isn't what the town normally looks like" sort of way.

So Peter's father was in town this weekend for a convention, and Saturday night we *finally* made it out to Carbone's, which is supposedly the best restaurant in Hartford.

http://www.carbonesct.com/home.htm

I have to say, there is probably not much about Carbone's that I could say that has not been said, and hundreds of award-bestowers agree with me that the food at Carbone's in probably the best. I'm not an enormous fan of Italian (oh, but I'll eat it), and the menu was somewhat limiting for vegetarians, but my cheese ravioli was light and fresh-tasting, with a sauce of chunky plum-tomato. I didn't try Dr. Pete's or FIL's veal (veal!), but considering they both disappeared, I'll have to imagine they were great.

I'd probably go back on a day other than Saturday, or a little later on Saturday, as the place was packed when we got there and the staff seemed a little rushed. However, the crowd thinned about half-way through the meal, so we got a better chance to talk to several staff members about the wine, etc. This is in way meant to imply we were ignored at all for the first half of the meal.

I would be somewhat snarky at my FIL's need to ask how much the specials cost, but he reads this blog, so I can't. Sorry dad! But it DID spark an interesting discussion - the nicer a restaurant is, the less likely it is that the prices of the specials will be noted. I just generally look at the price of something similar on the menu, take 20% of the price and add it on. I.E. if something similar to the special is on the menu for 40 dollars, you can guess the special is going to be about $48. Dr. Pete and I both think it's a little rude to ask the prices of specials, but FIL disagrees. I'd be interested in hearing anyone else's opinion on asking the prices of specials, as I agree that people could go either way on this.

Gin O' Meter: I didn't have a G&T, so I cannot rate in that way, but I had a kick ass Pomegranate Martini. It was VERY good.

OK, kids, until next time, wherein I list a number of Hartford's Hidden Gems. Take care!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

My eldest sister was married at the Kansas City Renaissance Festival some years back (Where the hell did I put that chain mail...?)It was a BLAST!

Anonymous said...

INSTEAD OF VISITING A LAME-ASSED EXHIBIT ABOUT AN IMAGINED “HORROR”, YOU MIGHT WANT TO CONFRONT THE REAL AND ULTIMATE HORROR, AN ETERNITY WITH PIAPS!!!!

YOU NORTHEASTERN LIBTARDS NEED TO GET OUT MORE OFTEN!!!

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA-
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA-
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA-
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA-
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA-
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA-
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA-
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA-
HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

YOU DEMLIBS JUST CRACK ME UP!!!

R O T F L M A O ! ! ! !

Kim, PbD said...

Kewl, I has a Blats.

Anonymous said...

OMG, Kim - you've been RALPHED! [passes the troll spray]

I'm hugely jealous of the Ren Faire. Haven't been to one in ages, and the last one was so blistering HOT it was just miserable...but I love 'em.

If we were closer I'd lend you a bodice - I have I think a total of four - but you can always check out the women's clothing section of the Renaissance Store. Their quality is good and the pricing's pretty reasonable.

Asking about the $$ on a special? If they don't volunteer it I don't usually ask. Your +20% sounds like a good guideline to me.

The blog just gets better and better, BTW!

Interested Bystander said...

Wow, Kim, you were RALPHED! That's awesome!! I think this means you've made the big time and can't really consider this a fledgling blog, anymore.

Wipes away a nostalgic tear.

I remember when it was just baby...


Yay for the Renaissance Festival!! We have one in MN, too, though it is an early one. Late August through Late September. It's only an hour away from us and is always a kick-ass good time.

Btw, those giant turkey legs are a definite temptation! If that doesn't work on Dr. Pete, check his pulse -- quickly! ;)


Those spooky links are very cool! Fantastic sound effects, too. We've got a few really good Halloween hauntings, around here, but we haven't gone to any in years. Thanks to you, I'm feeling motivated to do one or two, this year. They are always lots of fun!

Cow Parade. Cow Parade??? I don't know that we've ever had one in MN. Lot's of cows, here, and way too many effin parades, but I don't recall there was ever a splicing of the two.

I heard Wisconsin had one this past summer, or it could have just been that some farmer left the gate open. Not sure which...


Carbone's sounds like a very nice restaurant. As for the specials pricing question, I've got to side with you and the good doctor. I wouldn't ask. But, I do think your method of calculating is pretty valid, which gets the job done.

As always, you are doing an awesome job with this blog. Props!

orion`s daughter said...

I'm jealous, Kim. I've never been to a Ren Faire, even with all my subtle - and not so subtle - hints to M. about wanting to go.

Anonymous said...

weee :-) Just looking around at everyone's blogs... been to 3 Medieval Markets this year (in and around Berlin - Germany), HAD to have a new outfit for two of them (which is easy for me since I can sew) ;-) Have a blast!

J Koenig (from the Newshounds site)